Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Huxtables: The Integrated Family?



I am not alone when I say that I absolutely love the Cosby Show! The Cosby Show was the epitome of a well-adjusted, successful middle class (African American) family. According to Wikipedia:

"The Cosby Show is an American television situation comedy starring Bill Cosby, first airing on September 20, 1984 and running for eight seasons on the NBC television network, until April 30, 1992. The show focused on the Huxtable family, an upper-middle class African-American family living in Brooklyn, New York"

The Cosby Show was where I was introduced to jazz artists, African American art, and HBCU sweaters. Every episode, I was learning something even as I was being entertained. We need more network sitcoms like that today. With all that being said, I always found something interesting about the two older daughters Sondra and Denise.

Sondra (Sabrina LeBeauf) and Denise (Lisa Bonet) seemed a little different from the rest of the family. They were fair-skinned with curly hair which made me wonder if they were the product of Clair (Phylicia Rashad) and Heathcliff (Bill Cosby). Were these children from a different marriage? I know it is blasphemous to question the perfection that is the Huxtable family but I know you are thinking the same thing.

Watching the reruns of early episodes, I wondered if this was discussed at all. Maybe this was the result of bad casting but I am grateful for Denise. If there was no Denise...then there would be no A Different World. And if there was no A Different World, then I would have based my entire perception of HBCU college life on School Daze.

No comments:

Post a Comment