Monday, February 8, 2010

Missing in Action: African American Studies at HBCUs



Exploring Black colleges' role in the study/preservation of Black history

It is Black History Month 2010 and I have now turned my full attention to creating Black History plays, watching PBS Black History programming, and partaking in all that is Black History Month. This year, Black History coincides with my quest to find a graduate school program that I would like to pursue. I have found an interest in anthropology lately and would like to marry my interest in African American history with anthropology. Being a graduate of a Historically Black College/University, my first order of business was to research graduate programs at HBCUs.

As I combed through online sites analyzing programs of study, I was disappointed at the absence of African American Studies programs at major HBCUs. One would think that Black colleges would have at least one major of study dedicated to this topic but that is sadly not the case for many colleges.

In the past, I have had many debates about the relevancy of HBCUs and always thought it was important that African American youth experience the rich history of such universities and contribute to their perpetuity. I still take that stance on HBCUs but I am curious as to why OUR colleges do not offer courses about OUR history.

From my experience during undergrad, most programs were created and supported to ensure that students were employed. Could it be that HBCUs do not realize the value of African American studies because it does not generate corporate donations? HBCUs should cater to the niche market of African American studies and produce experts in the field. What better way to honor Black History Month than to create an academic program that aids in the study and preservation of Black history.


Ebony Ynobe is the editor-in-chief of the The Ebony Digest. To have Ebony's commentary delivered to your email, click here.


http://www.twitter.com/ebonydigest
http://www.ebonydigest.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment