Sunday, April 5, 2009

No Means No


No. Since embracing the power of this word, I have been liberated. In the past, I thought it was selfish or just plain rude to use this word as an answer to a request. This one word has done wonders for me. I feel less stressed...lighter...happier. I realized saying no not only liberated me but kept me honest with myself and others.

** Would you like to leave a tip?
I love the feeling I get from great service. When someone in the service industry (which is basically anyone selling a good or service) goes above and beyond the call of duty, I tip excessively. Great service costs so little and the return of value is so great. I blog about great service on every social networking site I can find. If you provided great service, there is no need to request a tip because customers usually give it with a smile.

If I receive mediocre service, I pay the requested rate for said service and call it even. Me doing business with a company shows my appreciation or else I would take my money elsewhere. I hate being forced to tip. Put away your tip jar and your tip card calculation sheet. So...would I like to leave a tip? Hell no!

** Can you co-sign?
I love this question. It usually comes from someone who has successfully ruined their own credit with consumer debt and cannot wait for the chance to successfully ruin mine. This question is almost always absent of any real plan to pay back the debt. No offer to sign promissory note. No offer to pay a down payment. No "what's in it for you" explanation. I always feel pressured to make a decision quickly and hear the subtle threat in the request that the requestor plans to hate me if I even think of saying no. I have learned to give a donation (money that I can afford to lose) and just say no to co-signing on anything unless it's my husband. So...would I like to co-sign? Hell no!

** Can you volunteer for ____?
Service to others is such a great way to give back to the world. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside after volunteering. It just feels like the right thing to do. With that being said, I no longer force myself to partake in obligatory service. I like to give from the heart and not give my service begrudgingly so I am very selective about the service that I commit to. If I say no, it's not that I don't think that the particular service project is unimportant, it's just that I cannot fully commit. So...can I volunteer for ___? No...not at this time.

** Can you work overtime?
I love being an entrepreneur because I get the flexibility of choosing my projects. For my larger projects, the client sometimes request that I work beyond the core hours. This, in and of itself, is not an inappropriate request. After all, I strive to form a long-term relationship with all of my clients. I do, however, assume that the client understands that any hours worked outside of 9 to 5 require a different rate structure. Any time I spend working on the weekends or after hours requires that I shift other priorities like family time. I have no problem going above and beyond for my clients but the pay must match the request. So...can I work overtime? Sure...let's talk pay rate adjustment.

*´¨`·.¸¸.* Ebony Ynobe *¨`·.¸¸.*

No comments:

Post a Comment